What unusual times we are in. It feels like the entire world suddenly came to a halt. For many of us, this is the most impactful crisis we have ever experienced. My thoughts are with everyone affected by this situation and I sincerely hope you and your loved ones are well.
I’m lucky. All my family and friends are fine. I still have my job, which I love, and a cosy apartment where it’s nice to spend time in. Also, being forced to be directed inwards is something I can cope with well.
Why? Because I’m keeping busy which makes the days and weeks pass by so quickly. Frankly, I believe my daily to-do-list is what keeps me sane and happy. Plus it gives me a feeling of accomplishment at the end of each day.
If you need some inspiration on what you could do during the lockdown, take a look at the list below. Hopefully, there’s something in it for you as well!
PS: None of the links are paid ads, just my honest recommendations.
1) Get Crafty & Create
Personally, I love creating things. Many of us have an office-based job, so being able to dig in with your hands and then look at what you have created is just wonderful. Plus you learn a new skill. Here are some specific ideas what you could do:
- Sewing – obviously first; if you haven’t realised it, you’re on a sewing blog
- Pottery – just make sure to use an air-dry or oven-baked clay at home
- Calligraphy – use your new skills to write letters to your friends (#oldschool) 🖌️
- Watercolour painting – and decorate your house with a #handmade picture
- Origamis – you could make your own mobile with lots of cranes 📃
2) Stay Healthy & Spoil Yourself
Use the lockdown to look after yourself. Sport & self-care activities are usually the first things to cross out when times are busy. So no more excuses! Some ideas:
- Home Spa Day – go for the full programme: bubble bath, face mask, candles etc.
- Food for The Soul – indulge in #homemade, healthy and delicious food 🍝
- Home Workout – invest in an exercise mat and keep fit
- Mindfulness – 10 minutes daily help you with stress, anxiety, sleep, focus…
- Haircut – appreciate it’s a stretch but no one will see it anyway from behind ✂️
3) Tidy House, Tidy Mind
While I don’t like the process of cleaning and tidying up, I love the moment when sitting on the couch and looking into your spick and span apartment. Take it to the next level with an in-depth spring cleaning:
- Get inspired – watch Marie Kondo on Netflix and you feel an urge to tidy up
- Wardrobe – sort out old clothes, reorganise everything, hand wash winter items 🧺
- Kitchen – when was the last time you cleaned your oven? There you go…
- Windows – aww personally hate this one but good for your arm muscles maybe?
4) Learn Something New
Probably the best use of your time is to get a new skill! Thanks to the 21st century, the world is your oyster really when it comes to online learning. How about:
- Languages – time to dust off your French – êtes-vous en accord?
- Music – give singing a try or learn a new instrument 🎵
- Side Hustle – why not improving your entrepreneurial skills with a side hustle
- Gardening – learn more about nature and plants surrounding you 🌱
- Online courses – IT, psychology, finances – learn whatever you’re interested in
- Photography – so that you can better capture beautiful moments forever 📸
5) Socialise With Distance
Most importantly, stay in touch with your loved ones! Just because you need to keep distance doesn’t mean that you can’t reach out to people. Now more than ever is the right time to get back in touch with people you haven’t spoken to in a long time.
- Zoom party – organise a family get together via Zoom and dress up for it
- Letters – my sister gifted me a letter writing set for us to stay in touch 💌
- Deliveries – if it’s someone’s birthday, get them a cake delivered to their doorstep
I hope this list of things to do at home gave you some inspiration on how to use your time to the best during the lockdown. Health is most important, so please make sure to keep a physical distance to people and to stay at home.
Virtual hugs to all of you and stay safe,